Monday, June 27, 2011

Abolitionist doctor

Dr. John Rogers helped support and protect the first abolitionist paper west of the Allegheny.  He practiced for 60 years in New Richmond during which time he delivered U.S. Grant. On this trip, I have been constantly reminded of the depth of the history along the Ohio.  The history runs deep from the times before records when the Indians, the mound builders, inhabited this land.  To the frontiersman that came through charting and exploring, to the settlers and all the weird and interesting beliefs that they brought.  The abolitionist history and the underground railroad (Clermont County has more nationally recognized historical sites than any other in the US).  Also the civil war history that I feel will continue to play an important part of my trip.  The Ohio river's importance to or national history is only now starting to become clear.  I  am finally starting to appreciate American history as I never did before.