Thursday, June 2, 2011

June 1st

Yesterday was a rough day.  I went through three states in a matter of hours: PA, WV, and OH.   After passing the point of origin (a surrey point used by the fore fathers),  the winds picked up a bit!  So much so that it created a three to four foot swell going up river.  I fought for every foot I could get, and after four hours of paddling, I traveled a mile.  So I stopped for a break in a, under a maple tree.  I was hoping that the wind would change on this otherwise beautiful day.  They didn't so I continued in the same fashion for another couple of hours till I went past a marina and decided to stop.  There I asked for a coke and got a beer instead.  After Chad (the guy I met) and I  had talked for awhile, he introduced me to the president of the boat club, who was a wonderful person with a lot of knowledge about the local river history.  He offered me a place to sleep, a shower, and a spare boat he was trying to sell "old hippies and Greeny too." Thank you Rick and Carla Hamilton, and Chad McCoy for making my stay at Wellsville boat club enjoyable.  I woke up the next day and the river was like a sheet of glass.  I was so glad I stopped.    

The picture is of Rick