Monday, June 27, 2011

The man in the picture is Greg Roberts, a wonderful man and amateur historian that showed me around the area and filled me in on some of the local history.  Actually, he gave me a lot of the local history.   He is so interested in local history, he purchased a part of it.  Greg lives in the Clermont Academy (not in picture) which was a private school started in the mid 1830s.  It was on a short list of schools at the time that taught, in the same class room, all children no matter of sex or race.  I found it interesting that many of the slave owners from Kentucky would bring their bi-racial children across the river to study in the Clermont Academy, as slavery was legal in Kentucky and illegal in Ohio.  Traveling down the river, I can see how the river would have been a great divider of the land and culture.  Though I was reminded by Greg of how that was always not the case.  Traveling down the river seeing how large it is, I sometimes forget that it's size and stability is mostly a man made creation.  During the height of summer back before the dams you could walk across the river, as it would mostly only be a couple of feet deep.  Looking across the water I find it hard to imagine this river being untamed, wild. 

Greg is standing in front of the house that I stayed in during my stay in New Richmond.  The house is one of the two homes that David VornHolt runs as a bed and breakfast.  My stay here in New Richmond has to be the most relaxing to date.  The kindness that both David and the manager (Rick) of the B&B has shown me make it extremely difficult to drag myself back into my boat, especially because of the plushness of my accommodations.  The room was huge, the bed was comfortable, the water was hot and I was dry and clean.  Something that doesn't happen to much these days.  Though time to move on, I have Louisville in my sights.