Thursday, July 7, 2011

Boone's Landing, Big Bone Lick State Park

So the first thing to really go wrong happened the other day.  I was stopped at Boone's Landing, a campground, when I stepped on my outriggers like I have done a thousand times and "snap" went the back left arm.  Luckily for me I was at a place with a welder!  Chris, the owner, (the man standing next to Steady Eddie) and Bob the welder/ex-jet engine tester helped me out; I was on my way back on the river in a couple of hours. 

This problem could of been a huge disaster if I was on the river in bad weather. Luckily I was where I was, safe up a smaller stream.  It makes me think how many things could stop this trip dead in its tracks.  One or both of the pontoons could rupture.  I could get a hole in my boat too big to patch.  God forbid, I could get hurt.  So on and so on, the list is pretty long.  Oh ya and a point of clarification, I know everyone out there wants me to reach New Orleans, me more than anyone.  Though if I get to the Mississippi and it is not safe then my trip will stop at the end of the Ohio.  I am an adventurous person but I am not crazy no mater what you think of my trip.  I also have a time limit to this trip.  I had originally said that I was going to spend no more than 60 days.  That has increased to 90 but this is a hard deadline and can not be moved.  So there it is.  The weather, health, and other problems that I write little about have slowed me down.  I can only hope that with strength and perseverance I will reach my goal safely in time.