Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Riverwatch and the lost days

For most, a holiday like the Forth of July comes and goes with family and friends.  Barbecuing in the yard and relaxing with a beer.  Being on the river, I have no one to call or chill by the pool with.  When I walked into Riverwatch on Thursday afternoon, I did not think I would be staying in a town like that for the next couple days but life had different plans.  There I found out that were hydroplane races the next day and a regatta over the weekend.  The next fifty miles of water would be very unpleasant for the next couple of days.  I thought about it and decided to stay.  When I did, I found that a surrogate family and friends had been prepared for me.  All the members to my new family were unique from the crazy alcoholic friend that is somehow functional, to the mother you love but never want to talk to, to the uncle that says totally inappropriate things to women less than half his age.  I got the full Forth of July experience in Laweranceburg.  Hot dog and chili included.  Thanks L. May for sharing your Forth with a stranger.