Saturday, July 30, 2011

Down time

I had a planned stop in Golconda, IL.  What I didn't know was that I would be there for the next four days.  When I arrived, I picked up my last pre-scheduled package drop off.  I got the navigational maps and a replacement sleeping pad because mine had popped about a month ago.  I had some maintenance that I wanted to do to my canoe and the paddles.  When I got to the paddles, they were much worse than I thought.  The large scratches had started to take on water, and the paddles were swelling a bit.  It took me a day to dry the paddles even after putting huge gouges in the wood.  I then had to epoxy and polyurethane them.  The only problem I was in the town of Golconda population 700.  The hardware store was woefully understocked.  I had to use an inferior epoxy and ended up paying for it.  The epoxy had a bad reaction to poly and kept it from drying.  It took 3 days for most of it not to be tacky.  I hope it holds; I still have a long way to go.  Luckily, I found a good person to hang out with.